Old April 3rd 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default spark plug "holes" in valve cover full of oil!

>I was going to do a compression test on this car (its a 95 Saturn) and
> two of the plug wires came out totally soaked in oil! The first two
> were just fine and I got a normal compression reading on the first cyl.
> The cylinders that are full of oil would not give a normal compression
> reading, they just shot my guage sky-high because of all the oil in the
> cyl. I suppose.

Common Saturn problem. You need a new gasket kit. I believe mine was
around $35 for the outer cover ring and the 4 little rings.

When you see a kit, you'll think "Thirty-five dollars for that!" The gasket
looks like it was squeezed out of a silicon chalk gun onto a piece of
cardboard and then wrapped in kitchen-grade Handi-Wrap.

Was an easy, but messy job. Make sure you got a torque wrench for the
bolts. Might want to look and see if the upper engine hanger mount is shot
as well while you're at it (another $85 or so with new bolts).

Mine never leaked again up until the day I got rid of it (Dual-Cam model,
fwiw). Couldn't say much about the Saturn's affinity to use oil though
(especially the stick shift model).

B~