Old October 15th 04, 01:23 AM
Gary

I have 2000 GC and they salt the roads up here like crazy. My pan still
looks new after a quick wipe with varsol after I change the oil.

I can not imagine a pan rusting through unless it was soaking in acid. Are
the pans not galvanized anyway, I don't think I have ever seen a rusty pan,
and I've done a lot of back yard mechanics in my time.

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> > "Plasticman" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >
> >>I had a critical failure in my 2000 GC last week. The oil pan seems to

> > have
> >
> >>rusted through, and drained out all the oil. The big issue is that I

was
> >>going 85 km/h when it happened. This thing is 58 months old, and was in

> > for
> >
> >>a service and oil change to the dealer 2 months ago.
> >>
> >>best bet it seems is a remanufactured engine. Is this a common problem?

> > I don't know how common it is in all areas but people have posted about

it
> > before in this forum.
> >
> > I've never heard of such a thing out here where I live from anyone.

But, we