Old June 12th 05, 11:02 AM
Jan Kalin

In article <1118449720.2d67d2bc23648a54db8a3799fb43f581@teran ews>, Nate
Nagel wrote:
wrote:
>> <<<<Nope.
>>
>> One exception - certain BMW cars with ZF automatics, after the
>> transmission has already engaged a driving gear after the car has been
>> started. This caused some amount of disgruntlement among Bimmer owners
>> living in states with mandatory emissions tests.
>>
>> nate >>>>
>>

>> I'm glad to hear it.
>>
>> I was driving my '02 Taurus today and decided to revv it up when
>> parked. The bitch has a revv limiter for 4,000 RPMs. I guess the
>> makers didn't want anyone toying with the engine for early wear and
>> tear.
>>
>> Can the Revv limiter be removed or adjusted? Or is it all in the PCM
>> Computer?
>>

>I seriously doubt that that is the case, that is a pathetic redline. It
>probably is a limiter only in neutral, to keep you from free-revving the
>engine (which isn't particularly good for the *engine* mind you...)
>
>If that *is* a factory set redline, there's probably not much in the way
>of gains to be had by removing the limiter, very few cars continue to
>make good power past their factory redline unless the engine is "worked"
>a little for better breathing (cam swap, head porting, etc.)

The rev limit in neutral and in gear can certainly be different. It was so
in the case of my former '91 MB 280E. In gear the limiter cut in at the red
line. In neutral it cut in at around 4000 RPM.

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"