Old November 10th 04, 07:42 PM
Larry

"Joseph Oberlander" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Mike Smith wrote:
>
>> Booker C. Bense wrote:

>>> _ That's nonsense. They were available in 2002. The reason they
>>> have largely disappeared from California lots is the Toureg and
>>> California's fleet pollution regulations. VW makes a lot more
>>> money on Touregs than TDI Golfs. But they can't sell both and
>>> meet the fleet polution standards, so very few TDI's if any are
>>> shipped to California.

>> According to vw.com, neither 1.9 TDI nor V10 TDI models are available in
>> CA, NY, MA, VT, or ME.

> Though, not due to government regulations. If the car is 50-state
> compliant, you can haul it in and drive it with a few hundred
> dollars in state-to-state transfer fees.
>
> Las Vegas is a good place to look - tons of used and new TDIs
> and a short drive to California.

There is no VW that is 50 state compliant. For those of us that live in
Calif or the NE states, there is a $150 emissions charge on any new VW model
or engine option. VW's meet federal emission standards, which is different
than 50 state emissions standards. I also believe that the reason the
diesels are not emissions certified, is that Calif and the NE states are
waiting for new regulations on diesel fuel quality to take effect in the
next year or so.