Old April 23rd 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default rpm vs. speed question

If I remember correctly when doing my research on the 2006 models, the AT, 5
speed, and 6 speed had final drive ratios of .58, .81, .83 respectively.
This would leave the 6 speed running at higher rpms at cruising speed than
the other two. In a small engine, if one does a lot of cruising, lower rpms
are generally better for both engine life an fuel economy. When I bought my
2001 recently, I really wanted the AT, but couldn't locate one in decent
shape because so few of them are available up here. I ended up with the 6
speed because I wanted a LS, and so far have regretted it. Coupled with the
clutch shudder that the previous owner never fixed under warranty, and the
high cruising RPM which really surprized me, I thing I would have been
better off with a 5 speed or the AT. I feel the 6 speed should have been
marketed as a "Performance Option" coupled with the performance suspension,
rather than the only manual transmission in the more expensive models. I
just find the 6 spd lessens my driving experience overall. If I could get a
free swap for either of the other transmissions, I would jump at the
opportunity.

Boreal
2001 LS Silver/tan

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> What are you saying, that you never cruise? You're always accelerating?
> You cruise in some other gear than 6th?
>
> My point is, if you're running it up thru the gears (in the real world),
> you've usually finished impressing yourself or your friend at the 107mph
> point but, you know........... is that redlined in 6th or hitting the (top
> speed) wall prior to redline? Maybe they should scoot 5th and 6th up a bit
> and increase top speed to 135 or so, hmmmmm.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB
>
> "M. Cantera" > wrote in message
>> 6th is not a cruising gear in the Mazdaspeed Miata.
>>
>> The car redlines in 5th at 107 and 6500 rpm, and 6th, while an
>> overdrive, gets you to 127. The torque on the vehicle is ok on the
>> lower end, but the fun does not start until 4000 rpm (See
>> http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno.asp under 2006 MX-5 versus 2004
>> Mazdaspeed for the graph)
>>
>> To get more torque at the low end, you need more displacement, and a
>> differently geared transmission. For example, the Pontiac Solstice
>> has a 2.3 liter engine that is rated at 26 more ft-lbs than the NC
>> mill. That car hits its published 120 mph top speed at 6200 rpm in
>> 4th gear. 5th would reach that same 120 top speed at a lower rpm, so
>> it is a true "cruising" gear
>>
>> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:08:10 -0400, "Chuck" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The trouble is -- the market! Flat country = lower RPM needed.
>>>(Australia)
>>>US- not so flat- higher RPM.
>>> A stiffer 5th or 6th gear also causes a higher torque load, and higher
>>>combustion chamber temperature.
>>>(Not the favorate of warrenty sellers)
. com...