Old March 30th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 60K servicing for Toyota Corolla

> wrote:

> "Ajay Joshi" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Toyota Corolla 2002. What all servicing do I need to do at
> > 60K? Also, is it better to get it done at a dealer or go to a
> > normal car mechanic?

> Depends heavily on the dealership, and on the independent mechanic,
> as far as
> where to take it.. I am immediately suspicious of dealerships. They
> have, in my
> experience, been very poor in terms of quality and price. Some
> independents are thieves too. But some are excellent mechanics.
>
> If I can find a competent and honest independent, that is where I go.
>
> Your owners manual should have a service schedule in it. If not,
> either ask a competent garage, or buy yourself a decent service
> manual.

In my experience, the problem with dealers is threefold:
1) Their insistence on using new replacement parts instead of trying to
fettle old ones into a working condition, and
2) their shop rates are generally higher, and
3) being used to servicing newer vehicles, they're not used to the
problems older and higher mileage cars tend to develop.

The disadvantages of independent shops is primarily that their "techs"
may have little to no training, and tend to bodge jobs as a result.