Old February 2nd 05, 04:16 PM
Steve

N8N wrote:

>>several (incorrect) assertions made in this thread about "why" disk
>>brakes "need" power assist does not make it true. Disk brakes do not
>>"need" power assist any more than drum brakes, whether or not the

> drum
>
>>brakes are of the self-energizing variety.

> So you're saying that all those years of engineering school and
> experience actually working as an engineer with automotive braking
> systems were for naught. The fact that you don't like my explanation
> doesn't mean it's not true. Discs *do* require more line pressure for
> a given brake torque than self-energizing drums, assuming similar
> diameters and normal piston sizes. Simple, indisputable fact.
>
> nate
>
> (damn, I really hate it when I have to play the "credentials" card, but
> willfully ignorant people just **** me the f**k off!)

I'll agree to an extent on disks needing more LINE PRESSURE. But there
are ways to get line pressure without "needing" power assist.

And as for the amount of extra line pressure needed, I think that is
minimized by the fact that disk calipers typically have a much larger
piston area than do similar capacity drum brakes, which is part of the
reason that the drums need to be self-energizing.