Old February 2nd 05, 03:52 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

>>> Any reasonable person would accept referring to a transmission that
>>> was used in AMC vehicles as an AMC transmission.

> > Only if they had no clue how parts are sourced and put together, or
> > what the difference between a part made by a company & just installed.

> So you would *never* refer to certain wheels in a junk yard as
> "Chevrolet wheels" or "Ford wheels".

Sure you would. But you wouldn't refer to an "AMC starter" (it's a Delco)
or an "AMC alternator" (it's a Motorola) or an "AMC carburetor" (it's a
Carter or a Holley) or an "AMC transmission" (it's a Hydramatic or a
Torqueflite).

You *would*, however, refer to an "AMC engine".

I'm sure you can understand the difference. The question is whether you'll
choose to admit it.