Old August 17th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Default brake squeal - (400$ -autoshope quoted.) quote too high??

wrote in
oups.com:

> I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe and it has about 33K miles on it. I
> had the 30 K servicing done about 3 months ago.
>
> Couple of weeks after my 30K servicing, I started hearing the brakes
> squeal - very faintly. I could only hear if there is no background
> noise etc. The squeal has become louder (not too loud but it's easier
> to hear than at first) recently so I took it to a auto shop.

Your first mistake was to take the car to an aftermarket brake shop that
was hungry for work. These places hook you with the old "bait and switch"
scam, with ultra-cheap-quality parts, and with a scarily-long list of stuff
that was found during the "free" inspection.

Your second mistake was to not realize your car is *still under warranty*.
Taking a car this new to a brake/muffler shop is a risky endeavor. Suppose
there was aTSB for your problem? You'd never know, going to a brake shop.

You appear to be in California, so rust is not a factor for your brakes.

Squealing can be several things, from worn pads to dust. Your local dealer
is your best choice here. They would be less likely to attempt to frighten
you into spending more money than you need to.

> The shop gave me a quote after the 'free inspection'. The quote is 400
> bucks! I thought it's a little high because I was expecting at most 100
> (don't ask me why I came up with my 100$ estimate - it's just that I
> thought nothing fancy is needed.) Granted, I am a auto-dummy with very
> very little idea about cars. But still!!
>
> The quote mentioned what they will do for the 400$.
> 1) resurface the break rotors

Unneeded and undesirable if braking is still smooth.

> 2) remove & replace brake pads (FRONT)
> 3) clean and adjust rear drum brake (LABOR only)

NOT NEEDED! Your drums are good for at LEAST 70K without any maintenance at
all. Drums adjust automatically. If your parking brake works OK, then the
adjusters are working.

> 4) 45 point brake inspection! - lot of items listed on the quote
> 5) brake flush package - lot of items listed on the quote

A brake flush is a good idea, but not from those sharks you went to.

Go to your local dealer. Let them fix it.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/