Old August 14th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
butch burton

Default brake squeal - (400$ -autoshope quoted.) quote too high??

wrote:
> I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe and it has about 33K miles on it. I
> had the 30 K servicing done about 3 months ago.
>
> Couple of weeks after my 30K servicing, I started hearing the brakes
> squeal - very faintly. I could only hear if there is no background
> noise etc. The squeal has become louder (not too loud but it's easier
> to hear than at first) recently so I took it to a auto shop.
>
> The shop gave me a quote after the 'free inspection'. The quote is 400
> bucks!

ARe you pulling our collective legs - were the front brake pads
replaced at the 30K service interval? WHo did the 30K service - if
they used somethign other than Honda pads - you could be getting a
squeal off the pads - I assume the squeal is only when you apply the
brakes.

BTW - replacing brake pads on a honda after 30K says you are either
riding your brakes or are driving constantly in traffic and on the
brakes a lot - got 80K+ on my first set of honda pads. Forgetabout
giving anybody $400 - it only takes a few minutes to inspect your brake
pads yourself - get a helms manual and you can replace your brake pads
in less than an hour.

What kind of shop charges $400 for an inspection - sounds like a crook
to me - not even dealers do that kind of thing - well none that I know
of anyway.