Old June 14th 05, 01:13 PM
Michael Pardee

"Paul" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi.
>
> My car has developed a problem that I cannot find a solution to. It is
> a 1991 Honda Civic Special Edition (Canadian Model), 1.5L, 180,000kms.
> It is basically a DX with power steering and no AC.
>
> To the problem...
>
> The car stalls. It only stalls when warm, and only when coming to a
> stop. To be exact, only after coming to a stop. Sometimes it does not
> stall, but almost stalls, then recovers. Sometimes is almost stalls,
> then recovers and over revs, then almost stalls again. Back and Forth.
> Sometimes it fixes itself, other times it stalls. Most of the time,
> it immediately settles down to idle as it should, but at least once per
> trip it will act up. It will sometimes stall with a gentle throttle
> blip at idle as well.
>
> The problem first started occurring when I had to back the car down a
> hill into my driveway. The problem continues and seems to get slightly
> worse all the time.
>
> The car always starts immediately after a stall. The check engine
> light is not on, and the ECU is not showing any codes. I have cleaned
> the injectors, replaced plugs, rotor, cap, fuel and air filter. Every
> time I do something nice for the car, it behaves for about one tank of
> gas, then it acts up again. It happens when it is hot out, and when it
> is cold, on summer gas and on winter gas, full tank and empty tank. On
> high octane and low octane. Even though it happens regularly, I cannot
> force the event to occur.
>
> The dealer says they cannot do anything unless it stalls for them.
> Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this? With this
> exception, the car feels great and the engine is strong.
>
> I appreciate any help or suggestions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Paul

I don't know if this applies to Hondas, but if it is an automatic tranny
with a lockup torque converter that symptom can mean a bad lockup solenoid.
For that problem, in addition to stalling there is a feeling of shuddering
(instead of dying away) when coming to a stop, just like leaving the clutch
engaged too long on a manual tranny.

Otherwise, I like "scromwell2's" recommendation with a fuel pressure guage.
It would answer a range of questions.

Mike