Old October 28th 04, 07:22 PM
dom

(DJ) wrote:
>I have to replace the mid section of my Alfa Spider (99 V) exhaust
>and have been advised to get oringial alfa parts. But this is over
>twice the cost of say Kwik Fit. Are there any real advantages to
>getting original exhaustss parts?

Got a kwik-fit (I think) on my cinquecento. Lasted about a year, I think.
Got a proper one at the fiat dealer, a year later, genuine part,
cost about the same. Fiat mechanic said the kwik fit one was so thin
it collapsed (and not the part of it that had rusted through) when he
tried to pull it off. (he proceded to make a balls up of fitting the new
one, didn't bother to check the threads on the clamp were clear, so
it ended up not being tightened so I had to re-seal and clamp the
joint myself... well, that mechanic was an ex-ford one.)

Anyway - reckon I'll be getting a genuine one when my 147 needs it.

dom.

p.s. once visited a unipart exhaust pipe factory (with work, exhaust
pipe testing rig...) and the guy I spoke to there said that cheap ones
use low quality steel so they rust away straight away (unlike, he
said, his ones!).