Old June 1st 05, 04:22 AM
Stephen Cowell

"matt borland" > wrote in message
.. .
> I want to add a hitch to my '01 XJ, more for the
> accessories I can add that utilize the receiver than
> for actual towing. At most I may end up towing a
> small trailer for my motorcycle. Still I figured a
> class 3 would be the way to go since it's the most
> popular size.

I deg to biffer... I see way more 2" receivers.
Unless you have a standard transmission I think the big
one is the way to go. Check your rear diff... if it's
the 8.25, and you're driving an automatic, you're
almost there, as far as full ClassV tow package.
Those cool rear trays don't look like they work
well with the small receiver.... maybe I'm wrong.

> Any brands you guys would recommend based on
> experience with installation and use? Any to avoid?

I bought the Putnam, since it was the cheapest... and
boy, is it cheap! The darn receiver rattles... they told
me "yeah, we got a load of out-of-spec square tubing...
return it to us for a replacement". Guess how much
to ship a big piece of steel like that? I don't even
want to know... I don't pull trailers often enough
to worry about it too much. Just annoying...
Reese is a much better brand, and more expensive
too. The fit to the (unibody) frame was great,
but the finish on the Putnam was pitiful... ever
seen powder coat over weld splatter? And the
safety chain holes... look like something I would
do with my cutting torch in my garage.

That said, I'd go with the 5000 pound 2 inch one...
is that Class V? Your vehicle will do that, in
a pinch... you're supposed to use synthetic 140wt
in the rear diff and add a transmission cooler, all
good stuff (and all stuff I did). I wouldn't even
bother with the smaller hitch unless you have
a manual transmission, or maybe not even then...
those rear trays look useful, even though you
can't open the rear door with one full of stuff.

I was able to bolt mine on, no problems with fit...
it cost a little over $100 for the hitch. You have to
get the wiring kit... get the one that plugs into the
jack dangling inside the rear area side panel,
near the gas filler neck. Take the little black
brick, cable tie it to the internal
brace back there and run the wires out one of
the body plugs, silicone around the slit you
cut in the plug and you're done.
__
Steve
..