Old May 11th 05, 11:40 PM
Martin Dixon

In message >
"Christian McArdle" >
wrote:

>> Since you folks in Europe have had $5/gallon gas for years
>> (thanks to high taxes), what's happening to gas prices over
>> there in Europe? Are they going to hit $10/gallon soon?

> Because the prices are mostly tax, and this is largely set in absolute
> terms, rather than a percentage, we are insulated from much of the
> fluctuation in the price of the base product.
>
> People grumble about the price, but deep down know that petroleum use is bad
> due to climate change, so the grumbling is not as loud as it might be.

Well, they are bludgeoned into believeing that, due to the heavy
propaganda based on some very dubious science.

We actually do not know enough about climate to draw that conclusion,
or to quantify what needs to be done to rectify the situation if the
theory is correct. But that doesn't stop our politicians using it as
an excuse to raise taxes and impose restrictions that increase their
control over our lives.

But they say, the theory might be correct so let's act anyway. OK we
might be about to be hit by an asteroid, so where is the massive space
programme that is needed to defend us against such an eventuality,
that would be much more devastating than even the worst predicictions
of the effects of global Warming (some of which is beneficial anyway)?

err.. dunno mate. But a space programme costs money. We can use
Global Warming to raise taxes and apply restrictions that increase our
power. QED.

Martin

--
Created on the Iyonix PC - the world's fastest RISC OS computer.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.dixon4/