Old May 29th 04, 05:13 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, barks47
@hotmail.com spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...

> But isn't there some connection between Alfa & General Motors?

I don't know, but if there is, hope for got sake that they don't do what
they have done to Saab.

First they made everything after the 9000 (based on the same floor pan
as the 164) based on the Vauxhall Cavalier\Opel vectra MK1 (New Vectra
on later models).

Then in the States, they launched the 9-2 which is a Subaru Impreza
Wagon, with a Saab badge on the front, and some Saab styling inside.

Next Monstrosity they are planning is a Saab V8 SUV based on a G SUV in
the states.

Apart from the fact that I need to cut down on my fuel consumption, GM
have removed any quicks and Character from Saab, so I can't even buy a
newer one for more efficient engines.

I can't even step back into a Skoda (the car I really learned about
driving in), because I've gotten used to the comforts in the Saab, so
the rear engine ones (very fun to drive even with such low power) are
too basic. And the new ones are too sterile. I had a test drive in an
Octavia vRS. I was the owner of a Favorit at the time and it was the
middle of summer. The Heater/cooler fan blower was louder than the
engine in the Octavia. I know could sort that with a custom exhaust, and
it was a fantastic car for the money, but if I'm buying new, I want a
sporting car to sound sporting from the off.

So that's why I've turned to Alfa. Even though they were bought by Fiat,
they have kept a lot of their individuality, even using Fiat parts, and
no matter what Fiat claim about the Punto, we all know where the real
Spirito lives on.
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)