Old September 1st 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

Default Direction GM's taking Saturn

"Buster" > wrote in message
> If it weren't for the plastic panels, what would make my Saturn better
> than any other car? I've bought a couple of replacement Saturns
> because they still look pretty good after several years, while the
> metal paneled cars are all dinged up. Without plastic panels, there is
> no significant reason for me to choose Saturn over another brand.
> Buster
> <snip>
>>
>>What's so great about polymer panels that you "must" have them? They're
>>certainly nothing to cry over. They were as advance as they were going
>>to get.

The plastic body panels (and the low rpm peak torque) were the major reasons
why I purchased two new S1 Saturns. If the S1 wagons had not been
cancelled, I would have bought a third. I do not see anything in the Saturn
showroom today that I would consider buying. If I am going to buy a
standard GM product, I want to be able to purchase my parts from my standard
GM parts (wholesale price) dealer. Since GM has also abandoned the fuel
efficient mini station wagon, I can see nothing I want from GM (except a new
Vette).

The upside is that since GM killed the S1, the used prices have dropped
significantly and a used S1 is now a great value and they are available for
very low prices and parts are now appearing in the self serve wrecking yards
so they will be cheaper to fix. I would advise anyone to purchase the next
low mileage SW1 that they find in good condition.

RIP Saturn