Old July 22nd 05, 05:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 wrote:

> I does mean get ready to go and once you have passed your test there is
> no need to have the emergency brake while seating at traffic lights and
> 99% of people do not do this.

Believe it or not, there are complaints being registered with British
authorities about glare from brake lights of vehicles waiting at red
lights. There's a public outcry against what is considered the lazy and
improper procedure of using the service brake rather than the
emergency/parking/handbrake at red lights.

The amusing thing is that UK-spec (ECE) brake lights are permitted to be
only a little over half as intense as US-spec (SAE) brake lights.

> I loved the comment about since most cars are manual, it amazes how many
> america drivers take forever to move when the light turns green and the
> intersection is clear and I know that they are driving an automatic.

Why should this amaze you? Americans don't pay attention to their driving,
and even when they do, hesitation is warranted as there is always the
likelihood that some other bubbleheaded bleach-blonde (of either sex) will
be too busy yacking on a celphone or too self-impressed with his choice of
SUV to be bothered stopping for the opposing red light,

> think this why it takes two tries to get through traffic lights and it
> does not help that 99% of the roadways use traffic lights and stop
> signs.

Um...huh? There are no intersections with "traffic lights and stop signs".
It's one or the other.