Old December 14th 04, 02:51 AM

Joe wrote:

> wrote in news:1102882506.544304.61210
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> >>It appears that the winner was decided based on emotion and

feeling.
> >>Certainly, this one of the biggest (if not _the_ biggest) reasons

we
> >>buy any particular car. But looking at the objective data, the GTO
> >>came out pretty much on top.

> > Yes it did. However, while the GTO handily beat the Mustang on the
> > track, at least the Mustang didn't embarrass itself. A 103 trap
> > speed is pretty stout for a stocker, and so are the rest of the
> > Mustang's track numbers. And now we know with a little super tune
> > (an aftermarket chip) the Mustang is capable of running all over a
> > stock GTO, and do it for about 5 grand cheaper.

> > For me, either car would be a worthy addition to my garage.

> Patrick, I agree 100% with you. The Mustang is a wonderful car and
> I'd probably get one if I were in the market now. For the price it's

> unbeatable.

> My problem with the comparo was that the only category that the
> Mustang scored big with was the ridiculous "Gotta have it factor".

It
> almost seemed that C&D needed that bogus category to have the Mustang

> win. When mags do that kind of stuff it just reduces their
> credibility IMO.

Joe, it would be a bogus catagory if this was the first test/time they
used it. But it wasn't.

Here are some more quotes to help clarify C&D's position.

"As a 10-best winner, the Mustang GT seemed as if it would be the
natural choice for the top spot in this comparision. But it wasn't
that easy. The Goat fought hard and kicked even harder, and there were
moments when we thought the GTO would prevail and we'd be left to
explain how our 10-Best muscle car came in second to the only other
valid competitor. We'd have to reveal that Pontiac couldn't deliever a
2005 GTO in time for our 10-Best testing, which put it out of
contention. In the end, the Mustang prevailed because the smae
attibutes that charmed 10-Best voters seduced us during the
competition."

So there you have it. It was a straight up test. The Goat could have
won.

Even though the Goat outperformed the Mustang in most of the tests, you
have to keep in mind the Mustang GT can be had for much less. It's a 9
grand difference if you opt for a base GT. $24K to $33.5K is a big
jump. For that kind of coin, the GTO should have run all over it.

Kind of reminds me of when I bought my old 5-oh LX new for $10.7 and
the Grand Nationals were running about $18K...
Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD