Old October 17th 04, 03:42 PM
dreas

"Robin Banks" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:52:04 GMT, "dreas" > wrote:
>
> > The speed is alright as long as the WHOLE car is designed to do it,

which
> > the '64 Coupe DeVille was not!

> Yeah, that's a whole lotta car to be going that fast. I did the same

thing
> once in my 1971 Road Runner, which was actually a Satellite Sebring Plus,
> dressed in Road Runner garb, but only a 318 under the hood. Had him up to

129
> (if the speedo was right) and I was getting the same lifting & drifting,

so
> backed right down. I did this on I-96 though (about midnight, no traffic
> anywhere), and thank god I wasn't clocked. There would have been a 18yr

old
> going straight off to jail that night. (Rightly so, really.)
>
> Spooky going that fast in a car that's really not set up for it.

It's just a bit dangerous too. I tried pushing my Montego once. It did about
110,
and felt very unsafe. It had a bit left, but I had to back down. It took
that 302
a long time to get going that fast. It's more of a cruiser, and best suited
to speeds
under 80, but just trying to get that speedo to register 120 was a
challenge. I only
do stuff like this when no one else is around and never close to home. There
are
no roads with straight enough flat parts in BC to try stuff like that...

> > Maybe that burst of red-lining it is what broke that piston! I see a six
> > thousand dollar bill with wings on it wafting up on a big thermal if

such a thing
> > exists. ;-]

> <laugh>
>
> > My recently-acquired 85,000 mile '87 TPI 5speed Trans Am should be good
> > for getting a few speed jollies.

> Certainly should! After getting my license suspended about 2 times, I

lost my
> need for speed. (This all happened from 18 to 20yrs old) I still love a

fast
> car, and still drive faster than I should (my radar detector is my

friend!),
> muscle cars are out for me. I'll get in too much trouble. ;-)

Imagine a horizon far away with nothing between you and it but two lanes
of perfectly straight blacktop. Is a red Trans Am speeding in the desert if
no policeman clocks it? No cops, no trouble. Of course, I don't do things
that are dangerous, and I don't do them often. I just enjoy accelerating and
shifting through the gears, taking corners like I'm on rails, and thrilling
the rumble of my exhaust...

> 46 is a little old to start getting speeding tickets and license

suspensions
> for them again.

Heh. I'm a professional driver. I don't need any kind of trouble. I need
my license to keep me in beer and gas money. 40 is mid-life crisis time,
so I got me a car like the one I had when I was twenty-five. The only
difference is that I'm old man wannabe now instead of the boy racer that
I once thought I was...

-'dreas