Old November 22nd 04, 11:13 PM
Peter

Just realised that there is a way to soften the clutch on a 68. You need to
use the clutch arm from a domestic Mexican Bug (not the 78-86 Export model).
This will be a straight fit on the smaller cross shaft. I am not sure what
combination of clutch cable and guide you would need to use, though.

"Peter" > wrote in message
> It may not be so much the clutch pressure plate but the the mechanisms

that
> operate it. The clutch was made much softer, during the 1974 model year,
> when VW increased the length of the operating arm at the gearbox end.
> Unfortunately this arm cannot be retro fit to a 68 model, only back as far
> as early 72 models.
>
> "David" > wrote in message
> news
> > I am putting a new Mexican engine in my wife's buggy, I removed the old

> engine, clutch and pressure plate. looking at
> > the pressure plate it is an F&S plate, my wife always complained about

how