Old August 31st 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Elbert

Default Limited Slip Differential

Did that model car come with limited slip?

I guess that's what you are referring to. If the car does
have limited slip and its making the noise then I doubt changing the
fluid would have any effect.

Usually noise from the "rear-end" is a bad thing and translates
into $$$.

I think it would be rather easy to figure out if noise was coming from
the rear differential..

I would want someone to look at the car first hand to confirm that the
problem is in the "rear".

On 30 Aug 2006 09:57:58 -0700, "adla11" > wrote:

>Hi, does anyone have an opinion about this? One mechanic I spoke to
>said it's highly probable that the grinding sound I hear for the first
>couple of minutes of driving the car (the sound then dissipates after a
>couple of minutes) means that the LSD needs to be replaced.
>
>Another said it MIGHT need to be replaced, but changing the diff oil
>might solve the problem.
>
>We're talking about a 1989 Toyota Cressida, with about 120,000/miles.
>
>Neither of the mechs actually physically inspected the diff, but they
>both DO know my car rather well. I'm just not sure why one is so sure
>it needs to be replaced. Maybe it's based on the expected lifespan of
>this part?
>
>Thanksya for any ideas.

Elbert