Old October 25th 04, 06:01 PM
Bob Shuman

"daagar" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a new (< 3000miles) 2004 Dodge Neon SXT (auto trans.). The
> sticker said the car should be getting 25-31 MPG. Unfortunately, I
> have yet to get anything above 22-23 regardless of my driving
> (city/highway/etc).
>
> Being a new vehicle, I don't expect it to be a problem with spark
> plugs, O2 sensors, tire inflation, etc.

Check the tire inflation yourself and don't just assume they are correctly
inflated. Cherck the maximum cold inflation rating stamped on the tire
sidewall and inflate to somewhere between that setting and the one stamped
on the door jamb plaqcard. Too low inflation will destroy your mileage as
well as permanently damage your tires.

I assume your trying to get this mileage at 55MPH on the highway. If you
are doing any stop and go or doing 75MPH, then your mileage will suffer (but
this seems to be too excessive given your numbers).

One last comment and that is that when the engine "breaks in" (10-15K miles)
your highway mileage should increase by about 10% from when it is new.

> Could this really be something as simple as 'heavy-footing' it?

A heavy foot can certainly reduce your mileage by >10 percent.
..
Bob