Old April 8th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default What about the new gas?

"Dennis Wik" > wrote in message

> (Oil is carbon based while alcohol is an organic compound which breaks

down).

.............Alcohol is also a carbon based molecule and petroleum is also an
organic compound. All organic compounds are carbon based.

..........Ethanol-gasoline blends are just a government subsidy for
agribusiness in my opinion............Petrolem based fertilizer is used to
grow corn-----petroleum based energy is used process the corn into
alcohol........Government subsidies are used in every step of manufacture,
distribution and sale to bring down the cost of e-gas at the pump. Without a
modern engine management system that adjusts mixture based on the resistance
value of an 02 sensor, carbureted engines in older cars will run too lean on
it which usually results in loss of power and poor mileage. The fix for that
is to re-jet the carb and increasing the compression ratio of the engine
would help use this fuel more efficiently as well. This is all dependent on
the concentration of ethanol vs gasoline in the blend.......E-85 which has
85% ethanol blended with 15% gasoline won't work in an older vehicle without
going to a carburetor which can be jetted properly to run much richer than
normal and also you would need to get rid of all natural rubber in the fuel
system from the tank to the fuel pump's diaphragm to the boots on your 1600
DP's intake manifold. The other potential problem for e-gas in an older
vehicle is the rust problem in the gas tank and steel gas line that can
result from the water absorption property of ethanol. This might not be real
big problem in an area where the climate is dry and humidity levels average
less than what many of us see here in the eastern states.

........If all non-commercial vehicles were simply required to average at
least 25 miles per gallon, you would solve the dependency on oil imports
problem and get rid of a large portion of the emissions problem. I'd have to
park 2 of my vehicles but I have 3 others that would satify that restriction
easily. Here's another idea: Double the price of gas for vehicles that weigh
more than 4,000 pounds and which don't have a commercial use
permit..........bye bye Suburbans, Durangos, Hummers and Expeditions.