Old March 8th 05, 03:42 PM
Andy Turner

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:17:41 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Gower
> wrote:

>Andy Turner > wrote:
>>>
>>>Would I gag if I plunged my head into a bucketful of ****?
>>>Why yes, I think I would.

>>Great. And what relevance does that have?

> Do you have to be so tedious?

If Mary had chosen to not be so tedious with the inconclusive reply,
we wouldn't find ourselves here. If Mary came forward and actually
gave an answer, we wouldn't find ourselves here.

Like I explained to Dean, my question was a leading one, which points
out the hypocrisy between requesting other people change their
preferences and refusing to do so yourself in the opposite situation.
Mary's so called metaphor didn't give any clue as to whether he would
go along with the preferences request and merely suggested that he
would find the group distasteful. This is why it doesn't answer the
question and why Dean repeatedly fails (and avoids) to explain how the
metaphor works/relate.

> I think it is clear Mary is implying
> that joining a such a group would be distasteful and would only be
> done if forced or for some sort of perverse pleasure.

Yes, that's pretty much what I read into it to. However, the question
was not WRT how Mary would find the group, but with whether he would
adhere to the general preferences he found there. *That* question
remains unanswered - by Mary anyway.

> With that caveat established, the answer "yes" is there.

"yes"? He *would* adhere to the standards? Are you sure, because Dean
reckoned that the answer was "no".

Seems it's not quite so clear is it.....

> [Follow-ups set, since this has nothing to do with cars anymore]

Follow-ups restored, since I'm not even in uk.misc and haven't been
for some time.

andyt