Old May 26th 05, 06:00 PM
Mike Romain

It is 'usually' the seal under the adjuster plug where the steering
column goes in that leaks from what I have heard and seen. That will
run down and drip so you should see if it is wet above the pitman seal.

If it is this seal, you can get the old style adjuster plug if you are
lucky at steering rebuilder shops and use that. It is a Saganaw box
that the GM's also use so parts are easy to find. The old style one is
a one piece adjuster plug and apparently takes years before it will leak
according to the shop I was at.

Makes sense, my 86 seal is only weeping about 1/4 cup a season or every
half year after all this time.

The seals are not hard to put in and I always recommend a new bearing or
bushing to go with it seeing as the bearing must have enough slop to
mess up the seal....

Getting the pitman arm off can be a real SOB, so if it isn't that
leaking, I leave them alone and just do the adjuster seal. That can be
done by just dropping the box and only unhooking the steering column.

You can get the individual parts or just buy a kit with everything.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's