Old May 3rd 05, 11:26 PM
S Narayan

http://www.autoweb.com/content/resea...Action/Reviews

> > "it hesitates so bad, that it becomes even dangerous. when you
> > accelerate (in snow), it looks like the electric motor for some reason
> > does not allow the gas engine to kick in and hesitates really bad, I
> > can't emphasized enough how bad it is. To the point that it takes such
> > a long time to pick up speed, that is literally dangerous to pull over
> > a highway"
> >

> I recently (a few months ago) drove through snow country in northern
> California and Oregon. We hit snow a few minor storms while on highway 1.
> The Prius did a great job.
>
> The experience described above is not normal.
>
> The traction control and CVT (continuously variable transmission) worked
> great when we drove with an inch of snow sticking to the roadway.
> The CVT means there's no gear changes (and associated lurching) as
> the car tackles the up and down hill stretches. I found that it was
> extremely sure footed.
>
> I did not drive it in deeper snow, since I'm a central California kid.

I can add to this as well. Drove to Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon from CA in
winter. The car handled the snow (1-2") and the elevation without any
problems (loaded with 4 people). Returned over 45 mpg on the 2000+ mile
trip. The traction, vehicle skid control and lack of a shifting transmission
gives it a sure footing in slippery/icy conditions. I have read that it is
better to gun the accelerator than gently accelerate if traction is a
problem, the car will pull itself out of such conditions. This is from
people who live in the midwest who are used to seeing much more snow than I
do.