Old September 13th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Default Here a MFMY Driver Story for Scott

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), C. E. White said
in rec.autos.driving:

<snip Story>

> So who is the MFFY in this story -
>
> a) The Prius Driver

Yep.

> b) The Van Driver

Definitely.

> c) Me

Maybe some JLEDI (I wouldn't have waited and left the gap for the van to
pass the prius - I would have just slipped to the right lane and floored
it and gotten away from these two in post and in haste), but not MFFY.

> d) The Eclipse driver

Nope. I don't see what this guy did at all.

> Is there a JLEDI in this story?
>
> Oh yeah, I arrived safely at work and it took about the same amount of time
> as it always does (20 minutes). I never saw the van or the Prius again. I
> assume the Prius was somewhere behind me, and the van might be half way to
> California for all I know.
>
> In my opinion, the Prius driver was a jerk. But so was the van driver.
> Rather than waste his time trying to intimidate the Prius, he could have
> just passed him. The Eclipse driver did nothing wrong, and was probably
> flashed because the van driver was suffering from road rage.

Agreed, but I find the Prius driver most responsible for this situation
since his actions are what caused the van drivers rage. (of course, this
conclusion is based on information given in the story; we don't know if
there was any history between these two prior to your entering the road)

> Of course, I was totally blameless

Of course...

> - well except people who are KRETP Nazis probably
> think I should not have passed on the right - even though it was perfectly
> legal - and except for the people who think the van driver was right for
> intimidating the Prius - they probably think I should have taken a few
> minutes to harass the Prius as well.

I consider myself a "KRETP Nazi," (to use your wrods), but I have no
problem with passing on the right, and do it with out mercy almost every
time I find myself on the interstate system.

> The only excuse I can make for the
> Prius driver is that as the road widens into a controlled access highway
> (but before I-40), there are acceleration ramps entering Wade Avenue from
> I-440, Blue Ridge Road, and Edwards Mill Road. He might have though he
> needed to be in the left lane to avoid the traffic entering from those ramps
> (particularly the I-440 Ramp). However, he made his move to cut off the van
> well before we encountered any traffic entering from those ramps, and to be
> honest, traffic was pretty light on that portion of the road. If he had out
> run the van I don't think there would have been an issue.

As we see, it is quite possible that there was some history between the
van and the Prius before you entered the picture. Therefore, it is
difficult to definitively assign the worst MFFY to either driver.

> However, moving
> over to cut someone off and then not accelerating to a speed above the guy
> you cut off is a true MFFY action in my opinion.

Yep.

--
"Look down on me, you will see a fool.
Look up at me, you will see your lord.