Old June 23rd 05, 05:46 AM

Without getting into a long debate - I believe I'm in good shape.

By having the 1980 JEEP bellhousing machined to accept the needed CPS
so it can read the notches on the 88 Cherokee flywheel I just picked
up, and then using my T176 trans I believe I'm in good shape. Also
allows use stock Jeep clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing etc
- as did the Jeep factory. Pretty much Real Jeep stuff - as you have
recommended.
Based on what I had determined through my discussions with others
(subsequent to my original post), the adapter sending units are much
more trouble prone than is the route I am taking.

I do however apprecite your sage advice.

Thanks

By the way - as with many other parts, and sub-assemblies, I understand
that the T176 was really a "medium duty Ford transmission manufactured
by Tremec in Mexico" - and was used by Jeep in building CJ's from 1980
- 87 and other Jeep trucks from 1980 - 87.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/t176.html