Old September 8th 04, 04:32 AM
Marty

"Diode" > wrote in message
et...
> Marty spoke thusly...
>
> > What sucks is,that I checked it thru CarFax the day after the purchase.

> > discovered some sanding scratches and the use of fiberglass cloth in the
> > hood.
> > Day late and dollars short :-(
> >

> I don't get it...why would you expect to find out about body repairs
> through car fax unless they were major insurance pay outs? Many, many
> people have their car fixed without reporting it to their insurance
> companies for fear of their rates going up (which they do, of course).
> I'm also sure that body shops aren't going to do much reporting of
> anything to anybody about anything...at least not the body shops I know.
> What am I missing? The only thing I expected from CarFax was to make
> sure the title was clear and the car wasn't a "salvage".
>
> --
> -|>|- Diode -|<|-
> '68 L-79 Coupe
> '79 Triumph Bonneville
> Shut up, dave.
> Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt.
> Actual mileage may vary.

At first I was figuring the amount damage I found would have been enough to
have been an insurance claim. Closer inspection shows it was repaired as
cheap as possible. The body work is so shoddy, I just got done peeling the
paint off most of the hood with a razor blade(one piece is about 5" square).
So it was obviously "patched up" and traded in.
Yes, I also have done my own body repairs to avoid a claim or the amount was
so small that the deductible was the majority of the bill.
Really I was venting about my "impulse purchase". I should have left CarFax
out of it.
Marty