Old January 30th 05, 08:27 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Kent wrote:

>My girlfriend has her eye on a new car at a local dealership. The price is
>the best we've found, but the dealership has applied adhesive pinstriping to
>every single car on the lot! Why the hell do some dealers do this?!

So they can add a "dealer sticker" price.

> I've
>told him we might be interested in the car if it didn't have the pin
>striping, and he tells me that he can have it easily removed without
>damaging the paint. I'm skeptical that this is true if pin stripe removal
>pads and/or solvent solutions are used. What do you guys think, should I
>just move on to the next dealership?

Inspect the ends of the tape with a magnifier. They may use an
Exacto knife or razor blade to do the ends, and that may make tiny
slices in the paint.

If the paint near the ends is not damaged by blade, I predict
success. I am not speaking from experience however.