Old March 12th 05, 01:36 AM
Comboverfish

mike wrote:
> My neighbor has an old Ford truck. There's a coolant hose between

the
> water pump and the intake manifold. The distance between the pump

and
> the manifold is about two inches. But the gap between the ends of

the
> pipes is only about 0.3".
> Cutting the old hose off was easy. How do you get
> the new hose on without taking off the water pump?
>
> Thanks, mike
> --
> Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
> with links. Delete this sig when replying.
> .
> Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
> FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
> Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
> ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

At 0.3" as you measured, I would say its near impossible. You could
try cutting a piece just barely shorter than the old hose length. Lube
the inside with soap or silicone (something that will dry after
installation and not remain slippery). Push the hose as hard as you
can onto one pipe, trying to somewhat compress it. Then bend the hose
at 90 degrees (the hard part) and pull down on the leading edge towards
the other pipe while trying to work it on with a hose removal pick or
similar thin blunt tool. If you CAN get it started at all, you should
be able to work the entire diameter of the hose on to the second pipe
eventually without further damage.

Now the answer you didn't want to hear. You should replace it while
replacing the waterpump.

Toyota MDT in MO