Old February 27th 05, 09:21 AM
Axel Hammer

"Nathan W. Collier" schrieb:

> what damage are you suggesting? i know of many situations on organized runs
> where a single p/s hyraulic winch pulled the entire party up hills to steep
> to climb with no damage. in fact, watching this first hand is what sold me
> on hydraulic winching to begin with. i was riding my ATV on ft. bragg and
> watched a hmmwv winch an entire convoy up a ravine.

Fading of the hydraulic power (that is, of the little power such a pump can
provide compared to >>10kW up to 20kW a PTO provides), loss of lubrication,
damaged pump a.s.o. Overheating effects in a wide variety, boiling oil, spilled
oilŽ, failure of seals.

The professional rallye drivers and recovery vehicle owners we equip would laugh
at us for good reason if we'd suggest PS-driven hydraulics. A single belt as
supplied in standard 4x4 vehicles CANNOT provide enough long-term mechanical
power in excess of 2-3kW. A PTO can.

Rgds,

Axel