Old November 15th 04, 06:57 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Paul" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Let's see -- drum brakes, lap belts only, no air bags, poorly protected

gas
> tank... And you're giving it to your 18-year-old daughter? As a second

car,
> I hope, although I can't imagine what any 18-year-old would need with two
> cars.

What does age have to do with that? Technically no one needs more than one
car, and many people don't even need a car at all.

> I used to have a '66 Mustang. I got it from my dad, who bought it new, in
> '74, and I drove it for most of the next 16 years. I loved that car, but I
> finally had to conclude that it wasn't really safe to be driving my two
> young sons around in it. I would never consider giving a car with such
> outdated technology and such primitive safety features to an 18-year-old.

Now I've never driven a Mustang, but my first car was a '67 Galaxie 500.
That was a very safe car. I got it a couple years ago when I was 17. I drove
it for two years then sold it and got a '68 Galaxie 500. That '67 stopped
quickly, handled well, and accelerated quickly. It did well enough for what
it was and was safe.

The only accident I ever got in with that car was when I was sitting at a
red light, completely stopped. I was t-boned by an old hag who claimed that
I hit her. Damage to my car was limited to cosmetic damage to the door. Had
I been driving some econo-box my passenger likely would have been hurt and
the car would have suffered mechanical damage.

So what if it doesn't stop like some fancy modern s**t-box car? It makes no
difference. My Galaxie stopped very well, not quite as quickly as your
typical modern car, but very well nonetheless. You drive accordingly to what
your vehicle is capable of. I never had any trouble. Just like driving any
car, you don't overdrive the cars handling or braking and you won't have any
trouble.

Lap belts keep you in your seat. A good driver will avoid getting into an
accident in the first place, so whiplash won't be an issue from no shoulder
belt or head restraint.

The only significant thing a pre-68 Mustang would be down on safety with
regards to is a solid steering column. That could hurt you in a high speed
head on collision. Mustangs are compact unibody cars, same as the Falcon.
They _will_ crumple in high speed impacts just like any compact unibody car.
That and the single reservoir brake setup. A dual reservoir setup is a cheap
and worthwhile investment. Yeah, it's a long shot it'll ever come in handy,
but if one of your rear wheel cylidners ever blows a seal you'll be very
happy to have front brakes instead of using just the e-brake.