Old June 21st 05, 08:55 PM
Martijn van Duijn

Comboverfish wrote:

> Martijn van Duijn wrote:
>

>>Would you guess on of the above are more likely than the sensor itself
>>being bad?
>>Easy enough to swap 1 and 2 and try, judging from the other posts.
>>Platinum plugs and wires are 20.000 miles old, I'd be a bit surprised if
>>they were bad. Wouldn't vacuum leaks affect both banks equally?
>>Injector? Perhaps... The engine seems to run OK though. I can try a
>>cleaner at some point.

> The highly active bank 2 sensor would typically indicate a poor
> catalyst on that bank, or an exaust that hasn't reached temperature yet
> (not likely since the other side is OK). The bank 1 sensor on that
> side shows a less than ideal trace, so you could simply be overloading
> that catalyst with excess fuel or air. Since you are using your OBD
> data stream to create a graph, your result is a low resolution and
> inaccurate (in terms of real time) chart. Note the random pattern of
> plot points compared to B1S1.

Yeah, I noted the erratic curve, my sampling rate is just insufficient
indeed. But I assumed it would normally be similar to bank 1. I am
hoping that excess fuel overloads the cat (would be consistent with poor
mileage), not particularly looking forward to getting a cat replacement.

> Anyway, look for something that would cause a mixture issue with one
> bank, like pluged EGR ports in the intake, leaking vacuum hose(s)
> exiting from a specific runner of the intake, bad injector, wire, etc.
> Do you have any cylinder misfire codes? Can your scanner read live
> misfire data engine running?

I'll give it a try this weekend. I'll start by swapping sensors, an
trace the other options as far as I am able to.
No misfire codes, I will have to check on 'live' misfire options. I have
had an EGR code come up (excessive flow detected), but the code comes
randomly and either goes away after 3 drive cycles or I reset it sooner
than that. As the engine runs fine, I blamed the code to a flaky DPFE
sensor that I couldn't be bothered to replace. I think the EGR is common
to both banks though, but not 100% sure on that.

No codes active at this time though.

Martijn