Old March 15th 05, 12:49 AM
Spud Demon

"Kevin" > writes in article .com> dated 14 Mar 2005 14:27:05 -0800:
>Going back months, I'd get into the car and go to start it. It would
>start, and I'd release the keys, but the car still sounded like I was
>cranking it.

I think the problem is the starter solonoid. It's a relay, controlled by
the ignition, which sends battery voltage to the starter. If it's working
properly and you turn the key back out of the start position, there should
be no voltage on the starter and therefore no cranking sound.

It sounds like this solonoid was getting stuck "on", and now it's getting
stuck "off" too. It's a cheaper, easier repair than the starter motor.

All this abuse could have fried the starter motor too, but I would recommend
replacing the solonoid first.

>Also, any pointers on taking out/installing the new starter would be
>appreciated...Never done it before.

You can find the starter solonoid by following the thickest cable from the
positive terminal of your battery. Then there's another thick cable going
from there to the starter motor, and also a thin one going to the ignition
switch.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.