Old December 8th 04, 04:22 AM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/7/2004 7:15 PM Speedy Jim stood on a soap-box and preached to the
unwashed masses:

> Alternator normally doesn't make any noise. Possible bad bearing
> (in the Alt)?
> The noise could also be associated with the fan. Rubbing? Debris in
> the blades?
>
> If it *is* a bearing going bad, that could leave you stranded
> somewhere when it seizes up...

Which brings up another subject. I have been reading, here and there,
hither and yon, tales of woe about poorly-built replacement alternators.
Rebuilt and new which break moments to weeks after installation. Is
there a known good vendor or way to identify a good-quality alternator?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

668: The Neighbor of the Beast.