Old October 16th 04, 01:42 AM
FartSmeller

"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ > wrote in message
> FartSmeller wrote:
>> '96 Civic DX coupe D16Y7 engine.
>>
>> When started cold the idle fluctuates from fast (what seems a normal fast
>> idle) to slow (almost stalling.) It straightens out after a minute or so
>> and then idles fine.
>>
>> I removed the throttle body and gave it a thorough cleaning with tb
>> cleaner. I also removed the Idle Air Control valve from the tb and
>> cleaned it. Although the car ran slightly better, the idle problem is
>> still there.
>>
>> I'm suspecting a faulty Idle Air Control valve but I wanted proof before
>> I plunk down $150 for the parts. So...I followed the procedure in the
>> service manual to jump the service connector and watch for codes blinked
>> through the check engine light. Nothing! When the service connector is
>> jumped the check engine light stays on solid - does this mean there are
>> no codes being thrown or does it mean something else?
>>
>> I also want to check for vacuum leaks. Anyone have any tricks to share
>> on this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for replies.
>> ===================

> First thing to verify is coolant level in rad and reservoir, then remove
> air at the bleeder, if so equipped.
>
> Knowing the mileage helps narrow the clues too.
>
> 'Curly'

Wow,

Thanks for the quick response and helpful tip about the coolant. I would
have never thought to check that. When I took the IAC off the throttle body
there was coolant present but, I know, things are much different when the
car is running. I'll check the level tomorrow.

Also, the car has about 180,000 miles on it.