Old February 1st 04, 06:54 PM
John Alt

In article >,
says...
> How can I identify whether I have a Carter or a Rochester carb in my
> 1949 Chevy 3100? I am pretty sure it has the original 216 6 cyl. The
> carb that is on the engine is a single barrel on the drivers side of
> the block with the fuel bowl on the radiator side of the carb and the
> linkages on the firewall side. Are there any pictures online showing
> the differences? Which manfuacturer did Chevy use as original
> equipment?

Well, they all have some markings somewhere, and if the name isn't on
it, then a company logo is. Look it over good. You can also find a
Chilton's book that covers it at the local library. At least mine does,
anyway. Lastly, a service manual for them is sold at many places on the
internet. Get one. Either book has many, many pictures of the carbs in
various stages of breakdown, and you should be able to identify it then.
Most people did the rebuild themselves, back in the day. If you can give
it a good look over, and still can't figure it out, post any numbers you
have on it back on here. It will have something on it, somewhere.