Old June 17th 05, 12:08 AM
Jeff Strickland

The LO Range gears are not syncronized, so you should be moving slowly,
walking speed is usually good, when going into 4LO. Coming out of 4LO into
4HI is a bit easier and can be done <carefully> without stopping, but the
gears will still grind.

Usually, you'll be tooling along in 4HI and get stuck on a rock or
something, and for any number of reasons you might decide to use 4LO, but
because you are now stopped you may find that the gears collide and the
shifter won't move into 4LO very easily. If this happens, you can let the
clutch out so the gears turn a bit, then push the clutch back in as you pull
the lever into 4LO. The vehicle may jump a bit, so be sure there isn't
anybody standing near the tires. Once you get 4LO selected, then you can
proceed in the apporpriate manner.