Old April 18th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Used SW2 or SW1; Buying advice

I am thinking about looking for a good used Saturn wagon. I really
like the LW2 but that may not be in my budget and the SW should get
better gas milage.

I have a fair amount of car buying experience but what special problems
should I be aware of in searching for a SW wagon?

I recall that early Saturns had some serious problems with oil
consumption. What years was this a problem? I am hoping to find a
1997 or later car. Was the problem fixed and if so by what model year?

I definitely want a 5 speed but I have heard of manual transmissions
problems. Is this true and if so what years are best/worst?

I love the plastic body panels but do Saturns have any corrosion issues
with their space frames? If so, how do I check?

How long do the timing chains last? Are they difficult/expensive to
repair?

How about clutches?

Did Saturn offer any type of a sport suspenion on the SW?

What type of fuel economy are people getting on their SW1s or SW2s?

I notice a fair variation in published fuel economy for SWs, what years
are best? I'd like to get an SW2 if the economy doesn't suffer too
muuch.

Can I expect a good 200,000 miles out of a well maintained SW with out
major problems?

What size wheels and tires do the SWs use?

What can I expect to pay for a well maintained SW2 with about 75Kmi?

Thanks in advace,

Mike