Old July 19th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_1_]

Default Visual Differences Between Cast Iron & Forged Steel Crankshafts

Look at the parting line on the crankshaft. A wide line that isn't in
line over the length of the crank, with grind marks means a forged crank
while a narrow line that runs inline down the crank is a cast crank.
The reason is because the forged crank is forged then the flash is
ground, then it is twisted into it's final shape while still hot, while
a cast crank is cast in shape, cleaned of sand and flash and then
ground. The twisting of a forged crank means that the parting line moves
on each throw.

--
Steve W.

ups.com...