Old February 9th 05, 05:45 AM
Animal

P.J.Berg wrote:
> Animal wrote:
>
>>Billy Bad Assr© wrote:
>>
>>>look in the VW info section -- you should find all that you require
>>>
>>>http://www.lennysvw.com
>>>

>>Thanks for the tip, but I've been there, done that, read it, and made
>>it into a t-shirt. My basic and fundamental problem is that the
>>engine ID is not where its supposed to be. There is a lack of
>>information. A great, gapping void of data other than:
>>2BR Brazil
>>20 000.101.101.4
>>
>>That numbering sequence is not found in Type1, 2, 3, or 4.
>>Furthermore, these numbers on on the bottom sides of the case, above
>>the sump which is not where any of the ID's are supposed to be. This
>>leads me to believe that the number have nothing to do with the case
>>ID.
>>
>>There are three possibilities. Someone ground the numbers off the
>>case, this is a 'knock-off', or I'm an idiot. I hope the problem
>>involves the later.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Animal

> A Brazilian universial/replacement case...? Which means it could contain any
> known combo..
>
> J.

Thanks. Someone else today said it was probably a dual relief universal
case.

So, uh, what exactly is a Universal case? From RTFM'ing it appears that
I need to know exactly what this thing was in order to rebuild it. Is
there a universal gasket set?

All I really want to do is take the pieces to a machinist and have
everything measured/checked, then replace the pistons, get the heads
done, a new carburetor, alternator (or convert to one), and turn it into
a manual instead of a auto-stick.

Simple!

Animal