Old May 2nd 06, 09:47 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Brake fluid flush question

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> I bought a new torque wrench and will try to find a little deep socket
> to fit this thing so it doesn't happen again. I have a tendency to over
> tighten, unfortunately.

It's all too easy when using a socket set on smaller sizes as the leverage
is too high. Ring spanners are in different lengths according to nut size
which limits the torque you can apply to somewhere near the correct
amount. So if not using a ring spanner on smaller sizes and not a torque
wrench (which really isn't necessary for things like bleed screws) grip
the socket set handle near the pivot rather than at the end. Or use a 1/4
drive set for the smaller stuff since the handles on these are usually
only about 6" long rather than more than double that on a 1/2" type.

HTH.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.