Old June 14th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Worth replacing rear on 2K GT ???

wrote:
>> Question: How in the world did you get water in your diff?
>>
>> Patrick

> No idea. A friend told me that going through a puddle can cause some
> water to get in through a top breather hole. (I guess that's what
> happened).
>
> I did get more info from the dealer today regarding his refusal to
> change the diff fluid. In a nutshell, he said it would take a lot of
> work to disassemble the rear and check all the gears. If he was to do
> this, I would have to be ready to pay for a completely new rear if
> needed (not just for fluid change). I told him just to look around
> while the diff cover is off, but he told me it wasn't that simple. He
> also told me that if he just changed the fluid and I had an accident
> because of the rear failure, he would be somehow liable (which sounds
> like total BS to me).
>
> I'm still at a loss at what to do. Every time I went to a non-dealer
> mechanic, there was some sort of f-up and I wound up paying twice every
> time. On one hand, $1800 is still cheaper than a new car. The engine is
> in good shape so maybe I'll just go for it. Sorry for long boring
> rant....

Sounds like your stealer just wants to soak you for labor charges. It
is not that much of an ordeal to dump the contents of the rear and
refill it with gear oil. Use a high quality synthetic oil like Mobil1,
Redline or Royal Purple. If the gears arean't already chewed up, that
might solve your problem. Continuing to drive it with contaminated gear
oil is a virtual guarantee that you'll need a new set of gears in the
rear. An independent shop should be able to rebuild your rear for a
fraction of what the stealer quoted you.

Also, to get water in the rear, you'd have to submerge it. I take it
the car was a flood victim or someone attempted to ford a deep stream
with it?

Cheers,