Old December 22nd 04, 01:21 PM
Huw

"Philip" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Randolph wrote:
>> Philip wrote:
>>>
>>> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
>>> n.umich.edu

>>> Have not.
>>>
>>> Rotella T, Delo-400, Mobil Delvac ... those are your MAINSTREAM
>>> diesel oils. Just visit any truck stop to see for yourself.
>>> Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 is very rare in truck stops as is Delvac
>>> 1300. --
>>>
>>> - Philip

>> It could probably be argued either way. VW may well be the volume
>> leader
>> in passenger diesels in the US (no, I don't have a single number to
>> back this up). They recommend synthetic oil for their TDI's. So, for
>> passenger car diesels, I would say synthetics have caught on.

> You draw a conclusion from an unrelated recommendation. What is on the
> shelves of your neighborhood auto store or truck stop IS of primary
> importance. That's what people are buying. Yes, I know VW suggests
> synthetic IF ... are you are going to perform oil services by the oil life
> monitoring system. So does BMW and Mercedes for that matter.

They INSIST on specific oil for both petrol and diesel engines. The same
oils are suitable for both.

But for
> all -practical- purposes, the only mainstream synthetic diesel oil around
> here (the western US) is Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic.

That is only because you have virtually no modern diesel cars which call for
superior oil. No demand = no stocking. Having said that, you really should
be able to find these oils if you look hard. Surely you have plenty of both
Mercedes and BMW petrol vehicles which insist on Longlife 01 or mb229.1?

Huw