Old March 1st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Had my 300M aligned

For those paying attention, after getting the clunk fixed (turned out to be
a inner tie rod bushing), the more competent dealer left the steering wheel
crooked. So I took it to Merchant's tire, etc store after checking with
them that they would listen to my concerns about doing the alignment
correctly (as described by Bill, Steve and others here). So I printed out
the advice previously posted here, highlighted the important stuff and took
the car over.

They said they understood the issue and only a moron would do it wrong and
they weren't morons. In any case they did the alignment and took a road
test. The front end was indeed off, according to them and after they
aligned it, the car drifted slightly so they brought it back in and switched
front wheels and that solved the problem. Car is now properly aligned,
steering wheel is straight and the car tracks straight.

By the way they said that they fix a clunk once per month in their shop in
these cars caused by bad bushing in the left inner tie rod. In their
opinion it is being cooked by exhaust heat because a pipe is too close to
it. I haven't heard that theory before. One of the guys owns an Intrepid.
At 50k miles he replaced the steering rack. It now has 100k miles on it and
nothing else has gone bad on it except for the weather stripping. I told
him Bill's suggestion of cutting the weather stripping and buying one
additional piece for splicing.