Old July 11th 05, 07:19 PM
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:43:46 GMT, "northstar" >
wrote:

>Okay just got new shocks (4) they are KYBs installed on a '98 Explorer. Also
>the car is lowered 2" front/rear. I have been driving it for approx 300
>miles with the new shocks. I am hearing a lot of creaking/squeaking when
>hitting bumps or pulling in/out of a driveway best way to describe it is it
>sounds like a noisy matress i.e. springs compressing and decompressing.
>
>It seems to be loudest when I first drive off after the car is sitting in
>the garage for hours or over night after a few miles of driving the sounds
>is a lot quieter but I can still hear it but I think it is normal.
>
>Question. Is this normal for new shocks? Could it be something else maybe
>the bushings? I have not yet talked to the shop that installed the shocks I
>just want to get some ideas before I take it back in.
>
>Thanks

I don't recall for sure who, might have been Dr. Bob, who posted about
KYB shocks on his Porsche that were noisy like that. Whoever it was
thought the whole suspension was about to come apart but it was just
the shocks. I just put some on my S-10 and haven't heard any new
noises but I'm not impressed with their response characteristics.
From now on I think I'll stick with the Monroe Reflex, I've had good
luck with them.