Old June 30th 05, 06:41 AM
rw

pawn wrote:
> rw wrote:
>

>> I think they're in denial about the scientific evidence of the
>> seriousness of the problem, which is overwhelming.

> Please elaborate. Seriousness of what problem? Global warming (which
> could be man made, but has a much more established natural cyclical
> trend) is a given, so please be creative, or ar least relevant.

Sorry if I'm not relevant, pawn. I'm putting a Mustang reference in this
post.

Since the beginning of the industrial revolution, for about 200 years
more or less, we've been polluting our atmosphere with not only CO2 but
with also with lots of other noxious crap. The CO2 level has risen
dramatically and inexorably, and it's accelerating.

We don't understand what the consequences will be. We're not that smart.
It could be global warming, or it could be radical global cooling. The
system is nonlinear and unpredictable. Whichever, the consequences will
likely be horrific. We're like a colony of monkeys poking and prodding
at a complex machine, pulling out parts and jamming in sticks and
watching with ignorant curiosity what happens. But the machine we're
****ing with is the only planet we live on. Imagine letting a chimpanzee
work on your vintage Mustang.

Any rational look at the recent history of our climate (like over the
past 100,000 years or so), even ignoring human-caused problems, makes
one fear for the future of our children. We are very complacent. The
universe is a cold, hard, unforgiving place. If we don't look out for
ourselves, be assured that no one else will be looking out for us.