Old June 11th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default question about cost to repair PS or rack & pinion

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 12:13:31 GMT, > wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Thank you!!! this makes me feel so much better! I don't love the $75/
>> an hour part (which i think is what midas charges) but i can deal with
>> a few hundred dollars.
>> i think i am a little gunshy because i suddenly had to replace my
>> radiotor last year and it was almost $1000!! now whenever something
>> happens i get a little worried about the cash i will have to put out.
>> my emergency fund is just not that big!
>>
>> thanks again!
>>
>> - kelly

>Kelly, remember that these are reference prices. Be sure you know what the
>garage, be it
>Midas or anyone else, is going to charge you.
>
>While you could march into NAPA and buy a rack and pinion unit for the
>prices I found
>for you, it doesn't mean that the garage of your choice will charge you the
>same prices.
>They can mark them up just about as much as they choose.
>
>I cannot imagine you had to pay a grand for a radiator replacement. Now, I
>don't know
>much about the PT Cruiser, but that is a LOT of money. If Chrysler wanted
>that much for
>a radiator, I would have looked for an aftermarket replacement, even a
>custom unit if I had
>to do so. Radiators can be had, usually, for $100-250 range. Putting them
>in is normally
>a 'cake walk'.

Not in a PT Loser! Considerable disassembly is required. Tthe
radiator, fans and condensor are all bolted together and intended to
be replaced as a "module." You can work around this but takes a good
deal longer than slapping a radiator in a Camry or a Honda. Even
aftermarket, the radiator is a little pricier than most.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com