Old June 11th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default question about cost to repair PS or rack & pinion

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank you!!! this makes me feel so much better! I don't love the $75/
> an hour part (which i think is what midas charges) but i can deal with
> a few hundred dollars.
> i think i am a little gunshy because i suddenly had to replace my
> radiotor last year and it was almost $1000!! now whenever something
> happens i get a little worried about the cash i will have to put out.
> my emergency fund is just not that big!
>
> thanks again!
>
> - kelly

Kelly, remember that these are reference prices. Be sure you know what the
garage, be it
Midas or anyone else, is going to charge you.

While you could march into NAPA and buy a rack and pinion unit for the
prices I found
for you, it doesn't mean that the garage of your choice will charge you the
same prices.
They can mark them up just about as much as they choose.

I cannot imagine you had to pay a grand for a radiator replacement. Now, I
don't know
much about the PT Cruiser, but that is a LOT of money. If Chrysler wanted
that much for
a radiator, I would have looked for an aftermarket replacement, even a
custom unit if I had
to do so. Radiators can be had, usually, for $100-250 range. Putting them
in is normally
a 'cake walk'.

Be sure you know what to expect before having this work completed.